Monday, March 3, 2014

Dr. Seuss

Growing up, Dr. Seuss was one of my favorite author's.  I loved all of his stories that made me laugh and taught me about life.  My father read Mark Twain to me along with other great authors and I loved to read Charlotte Bronte and other classics, but Dr. Seuss made me laugh.  His books were so much fun and so colorful that I can't imagine a child not loving his stories and illustrations.  His birthday was March 2nd and even though he passed away in 1991 I will always celebrate his birthday with a little story and a project to teach my students about him and his wonderful stories that moved (now) three generations. 
Because it's  the week of his birthday and I want my students to learn about him and his stories I've been searching the internet for whatever projects and lesson plans I can find which are Dr. Seuss themed.  I found a lot and I'm happy that there's so much out there.  One disappointing thing I found though, was a short film that he narrated for the U.S. Army in 1945.  The link to it is here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OUR5uvs9aw
I know the world was a different place during that time and what was said in the film is true, Germany started three major conflicts in it's short history, but I'm shocked to see a figure that I thought was open to new ideas and so optimistic write such propaganda.  Watch the film yourself and make your own judgments. I must say although I'm disappointed to know he was involved in such things when he was young, it won't diminish my love for his stories and cartoons.  He moved me into believing that there's some good in all of us and we should strive to think of others and do the right thing each and every time.  Thank you Dr. Seuss.  I think you learned something in life, too.

No comments: