Saturday, January 7, 2012

Politics and the U.S.

I just finished reading That used to be us.  It's a book about everything that's wrong with the american system at the moment.  I think it's a great time to read this book, whether you agree with everything that is said in the book or not.  We, as a country, are at a point where a drastic change must occur.  I know that I'm not alone when I say that I'm fed up with all of the "he said, she said" crap that goes on amoung our political leaders.  Why are they so caught up in slinging accusations at one another and not focused on leading our country. 
There are a couple of things in the book that really struck a cord with me.  One is that a large majority of politicians in the U.S. say that global warming doesn't exist.  Really?  That's why the weather isn't changing so drastically, right?  They need a reality check.  But even if they don't believe it exist, that's no excuse to continue to pump oil from a country that would just as soon see us destroyed as become one of our allies.  We need a renewable, clean source of energy to become independent from these countries.  What would our military do without oil?  We would be crippled, what's more is that Iraq, Iran and all of the other Arab nations know this. 
Secondly, whoever thought that all of those baby boomers could retire and we could pay for it while cutting taxes and not go into debt was completely wrong.  We are more in debt now than at any point in our history.  Japan is also faced with the same problem, but they are raising taxes in order to keep from ending up like Greece.  Why can't the U.S. do this?  Sure, I don't want higher taxes either, but if it keeps China from owning every American company, and me from having to learn Chinese, then I will pay them. 
What I would really love to see happen is both parties stop throwing mud at each other and sit down to seriously discuss the issues that face the U.S. right now.  We have to improve the situation, or our children will grow up in a completely different country than the one we grew up in.

No comments: