Tuesday, January 17, 2012

While the World Watched

I just finished reading  While the World Watched by Carolyn Maull McKinstry.  If you haven't read this book you should go buy a copy today.  I can't imagine living through the bombing of my church.  What the KKK did back on September 15, 1963 and throughout the 1950's and 60's was inexcusable.  They sought to frighten a group of people into submission and did not care if other people died in the process.  The thought that anyone, regardless of the color of their skin, should be dominated by another group of people is absurd.  The fact that these people bound together and fought for their rights as American citizens gives proof of their courage.  At the end of the book, Mrs. McKinstry  writes that she is hopeful for the future.  I'm optimistic because I know all of the hatred that still exist in the South.  Slavery was abolished many, many years ago and it seems to me that the South is still more or less segregated.  Why can't we teach our children to judge people on who and what they are and not what color their skin is?  I can only hope that in the next 40 to 50 years that people's attitudes will change and the world will become a better place.

Rest in peace Dr. Martin Luther King

No comments: