Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Pegida in Dresden

As an American who has lived in Dresden for over 6 years, I'm shocked at the rate Pegida has grown and the lengths that their puppeteer Lutz Bachmann will go to, to start trouble here.  A convicted criminal himself is preaching that refugees from Syria are harmful to the German people and their way of life.  How can he say this, when he is a criminal himself?  Are they more harmful than he is?

Yesterday morning a young black refugee was murdered and the police in Dresden, although the young man had stab wounds on his chest and neck, are slow to call it a murder.  My personal opinion is that most of the police are at least Pegida sympathizers.

Dresden is no stranger to upheaval.  Every year on February 13th, the Nazis march through the streets of Dresden and in some past years have caused riots.  They say that the Allied Forces falsely bombed Dresden in 1945 and 'murdered' thousands of innocent people.  Were they not the one's who started the war? Or murdered thousands of innocent Jews?

I'm so angry about all of the hatred that is part of Dresden and although I wouldn't exactly call it my life's mission, I will say it's my goal to help at least calm the tide of hatred that is an ingrained part of this beautiful city.

No comments: