Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Friendship

I am learning alot about people in Europe and Germany especially living in Dresden. The people have a different attitude toward work and family here than they do in the US. I am an American through and through, but I don't think we spend enough time with each other to listen and talk about what is important.
Have you ever gone home from work, ordered pizza, had it delivered, and ate while watching tv with your significant other? What kind of relationship is that? Better yet, what are we teaching our children about relationships?
The tough thing to do is sit down with someone we love and ask them how they really feel. Why? We (me especially) are afraid of what the other person might say. Are we really happy working 50 hours a week, ordering fast food and not talking about the things that count? If not, how do we change our lives? I don't have any answers for the questions above. I only hope that when I meet someone out there that I am honest enough with myself to be honest with my partner and that I am able to take the things I have learned from both sides of the Atlantic and use them to have a better life. I hope the same for all of my friends who plan to venture outside of the US.

No comments: